How do I fight against this reckless driving ticket in VA? I was cruising at the speed limit with my pregnant wife...

Charlottesville, VA |

I was cruising on I-81 at 70 mph (the speed limit) with my pregnant wife on 12/25/2011, and suddenly stopped by an officer, who hid himself behind trees, claiming that he saw a car at 83 mph on radar and it must be me since mine was the only car he found. I told him I had been cruising at 70, but he insisted that it is possible that the speed may reach 83 when driving downhills.
Here is my thoughts: 1) I have been driving extremely carefully because of my PREGNANT wife; 2) Cruising control is supposed to maintain the speed, and I have not seen the loss of control when cruising on my CRV 2011; 3) The traffic was light that morning because it was holiday, but there were definitely other cars (I have photos taken there when stopped by the officer). 4) Never meant to ruin my holiday with this

It sounds like you may have some defenses in the case. Your best bet is to hire a traffic attorney that will know how to explore the weaknesses in the case, and how to best present them at trial.

I would agree with the above poster, you might have a good defense. I would need to see what evidence the officer might have. Reckless driving is a serious charge, jail time is a possible sentence, among others. I highly recommend you contact an attorney.

A really good attorney for Reckless Driving and DUI charges along I -81 is Robert Keefer. Well respected. He is based out of Harrisonburg, Virginia.