How do I fight against defamation and slander that was posted on a news website?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ontario, CA has a couple of articles posted that claim I was on the run from the police and am a child molester which is the furthest thing from the truth, I need advice on how to go about getting these articles removed from the internet, it has caused myself and my family a lot of pain and suffering including job loss, I have passed an FBI background check just to show it isn't true. The article was written based on information given to the site from my wife's ex-husband and his daughter and is based on complete lies. It has basically destroyed my life, I have tried to start over and move on but every time I do someone googles my name and there it is, what can I do?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Mariam Mary Margaryan

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . may be immune from liability for defamation for internet publications that originated from inforamtion provided by a third party under the The Federal Communications Decency Act. You should consult with an attorney that handles defemation matters and discuss your case in more detail to determine if you have a claim.

  2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, the internet is forever. Even though something might be removed, it is never actually completely gone. Contact the wrap and ask them to take the information down. You could sue the people who posted the information, but that still won't necessarily get rid of the posts, and may not result in any money to you.

Related Topics

Personal injury and defamation

Defamation is any type of emotional or psychological personal injury that occurs when someone intentionally harms another’s character or reputation.

Personal injury and slander

Slander is a type of defamation that occurs when one person verbally harms another person’s character. These false accusations can damage another’s reputation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,002 answers this week

3,583 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,002 answers this week

3,583 attorneys answering