How do I fight a Judgement?

Sidney, NY |

I recently was served a summons regarding a 8000 medical debt I have been paying 20 per month on for several years. I called the collection company and relunctantly agreed to pay off the debt within 6 months. The company sent me a letter confirming this. A week later i was served with a notice of judgement, now stating I owe 16k with interest, court costs, etc. When I contacted the collection company they told me they got the judment just in case I dont pay. When I stated I wanted to answer the orignal complaint in court they told me the 30 days I had to answer was up and that there was nothing I could do...they have the judgement. I feel I was tricked into not answering the original complaint (with he payoff agreement) so that they could jut get the judgement. What do I do now?

1. File a complaint with the NYS attorney general's office. There are complete instructions on how to do this in my legal guide on how NYS protects consumers from debt settlement companies and debt collectors.
    You can also hire a lawyer to vacate the judgment. If the debt collectors and their counsel have violated the terms of the fair debt collection act, the court may order them to pay your legal fees.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:
    Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Legal terms used in litigation………………………………………………………..

New York City: A Guide to the Courts……………………………………..

Commercial litigation .

How New York State Protects Consumers from Debt Settlement and Debt Collection Agencies, Part I and Part II.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

.