Skip to main content

How do i explain my employer about my new status and change my SSN?

Charleston, SC |

i was approved for DACA now I know i have to update my information with my employer for taxes purposes and because it iligal to continue using the tax id ( I think) and or other number when you are granted a SSN. What do i tell my employee?. when i need to update my W-4 and I9. ? what if they ask why i have a new SSN and why does it say valid with work permit only and the "other one didnt". my employer is in virginia ( HR) but i live in SC, i work from home. my taxes n everything are done here. but my pays come from overthere.

so i dont get fired for giving falfe information. ( they do have a copy of my ""SSN and ID'' from when i first applied 4 years ago) a made up one of course

Attorney Answers 4

  1. By telling them the truth.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. You can tell them you had a taxpayer ID number and now you have a social security number.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  3. By disclosing the true facts to the employer.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. Inform the employer that you have a social security number.

    Simone Coley, Bachand & Bachand; 855-422-2426. 189 State Street, Suite 100, Bridgeport, CT 06604.

Social security topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics