How do I exercise my parenting time rights in Georgia, if the Grandparent is denying me access to my child?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mableton, GA

I am a mother of 4 boys, I lost custody of my 3 oldest due to being a single mom, and I used to dance to support my kids and myself, , always took care of my children but my kids father and his mother thought that they was better with them than me. They was not in my kids life until they got Social Services involved. I lost custody of my children because the judge told me I was not fit to raise my children which I've doing it alone for a long time. I pay Child Support, I can't see them, the grandmother will not let me see them, when I'm suppose to have my visitations, I'm desperate I want to regain custody, but the law did me so wrong and I'm afraid that I will not ever get to have my children back. Please Help

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the current custody order (the order that granted custody to the father) provided you with a schedule for visitation, then you are entitled to that visitation. If either the father or the paternal grandmother fail to adhere to the terms of the custody order, that individual may potentially be in contempt of the court order.

    You should consider speaking with a family law attorney to discuss your options. Even if you do not attempt to regain custody, you have the right to enforce your visitation.

    I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

    ~ Kem Eyo

    The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor... more
  2. Daniel Ellis Rice

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . If you are allowed to exercise visitation time with your children, and the person with custody is unreasonably denying access to you for the visitation, you may consider filing a motion for contempt with the court that granted the custodial transfer. I advise hiring a family law attorney who can properly advise on the various options. Good luck.

  3. Merlinus Goodman Monroe

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . If you have a scheduled time to visit with your children but the grandmother is preventing your visitation, you need to go forward with a modification of custody and visitation. Get supervised visits, if need be, or more.

    I always find the viewpoint that lets someone judge a parent more harshly because of their work to be fascinatingly ignorant. Wrong is wrong is wrong. This IS wrong - do something about it!

    The information contained in this electronic communication and any documents or other files attached to and... more
  4. Alexander Gray Hait


    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . There are so many additional questions that need to be answered. Were you married to the father? Who has custody, the father or the grandparents? What court gave him/them custody, juvenile court or superior court. What county do they live in? As the other people have recommended, you need to speak with a family law attorney. Our office offers a free initial consultation if you would like to come in and meet with one of our attorneys. Feel free to check us out at

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,971 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,971 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering