Skip to main content

How do I evict an adult child not paying rent in CT?

East Lyme, CT |

My son is 20 years old and refuses to abide by household rules and has not held a steady job. He does not pay rent or contribute to the household financially. It is now time for him to move on with his life and move out.

He is protected under CT state law as a tenant and I cannot lock him out.

How do I state my reasons in the Summons and Complaint?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First of all, you have to start with a Notice to Quit. This form is available on line or at a courthouse. After the time period expires for him vacating under the NTQ, then you file the eviction (summary process) complaint.
The statutes provide a number of different reasons why you can evict someone. The one you are liiking for is about someone who had a right of possession but now doesn't have it. Your son falls under this category.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer