How do I evict an adult child from my house?

Standish, MI |

He pays no rent. I have asked him to leave and he refuses.

Contact an attorney who has experience in the general practice of law, or who specializes in landlord/tenant matters. You would have to provide your son with a 30 Notice to Terminate Tenancy and proceed in a certain manner thereafter. There are certain requirements that must be adhered to, and I believe the matter will proceed much smoother with representation by an attorney who is familiar with this area of law. It is a bit more complicated than you might otherwise believe.

Neil M. Colman
www.divlawyer@gmail.com

Mr. Colman is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Colman strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Landlord-tenant topics