How do I evict a tenant that does not have a lease with me in Florida?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gainesville, FL

I own the home. The tenant and I have a verbal agreement for rent. Would I use a month-to-month form to give him? Someone told me that he can stay as long as 60 days, but I believe it's 15 is that correct?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John Andrew Morey


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should never have a verbal lease agreement with a tenant. It just leads to problems down the road. In your situation, it depends on how often rent is paid. Section 83.46(2) of the Florida Statutes states:

    If the rental agreement contains no provision as to duration of the tenancy, the duration is determined by the periods for which the rent is payable. If the rent is payable weekly, then the tenancy is from week to week; if payable monthly, tenancy is from month to month; if payable quarterly, tenancy is from quarter to quarter; if payable yearly, tenancy is from year to year.

    It sounds like you have a month to month tenancy. If so, and the tenant is current on rent, you will need to serve the tenant with a 15 day notice under Section 83.57 of the Florida Statutes to terminate the lease. The 15 day has to be served 15 days before the next rental period (i.e. the 1st of the month). If the tenant does no move out, you can file and eviction. If the tenant has failed to pay rent, you can just serve them with a three day notice.

    It is important that the notice you provide the tenant is proper. It may seem like the notice is simple and easy to draft, but there are a lot of mistakes that a well trained attorney can find that could lead to your eviction getting dismissed. If that happens, you are at risk for having to pay that attorney’s fee and the tenant’s court cost. Speak with an attorney to make sure you are on the right track and to purchase a written lease agreement.

    Disclaimer: This is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the... more
  2. Carol Lynne Zimmerly


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . If the tenant pays rent on the first of the month, give him notice this week that you are not renewing the rental agreement as of December 1st, 2012.

    You must send a proper notice and deliver it properly.

    Send it certified mail restricted delivery addressed to the tenant at your address.
    Restricted means that no one else can sign for it but that person.
    You should also hand him a copy or tape it on his door.

    On December 2nd, if he is still there, file a lawsuit at the courthouse for removal of tenant / possession of the premises.

    Good luck.
    You might benefit from getting a book for Florida landlords from the local bookstore or an online bookseller, just make sure it was published in the last two years and has Florida and landlord in the title.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,879 answers this week

2,776 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,879 answers this week

2,776 attorneys answering