How do I Evict a Lodger that has no Lease?

Easton, MA |

I have a Lodger renting a room in my apt. He is very messy and keeps making attrempts to move into the rest of the apt even though i take all the things he puts in the kitchen/bathroom/living room and placing it back in his room. What set me off is he, rummaged though my things while i was out and got my information, then changed information on cable accounts to his liking and authorized himself to my cable account and took control of it. I need him out ASAP but want to do it leagally. Again, he has no Lease nor Proof of payment to me because he pays cash (something i didn't care about but it seems to be an advantage right now) Would he be considered a guest?

I would have to know a few more things to be able to give you an adequate answer. By lodger, do you mean "tenant" or are you renting out a rooming house? If its a rooming house, I would want to check with the Town of Easton as to whether this is a permitted use before going further.

Otherwise, it sounds like your tenant is a tenant at will, meaning he is entitled to a thirty-day Notice to Quit the premises. Once the thirty days has expired if he still has not left the premises, you can bring an action to evict him. It is called a "summery process" action and will be through your local district court.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant