How do I establish my separate property rights in Texas?

Asked over 1 year ago - Conroe, TX

I was not permitted to present documents at final hearing for defense in divorce. The judge consequently declared all assets as community property. I clearly understood that the documents I had would protect me from this under Texas law. I now must file a pleading in Appellate court to reverse the court's decision. I was defending myself Pro Se, so without my documents presented to the court, I didn't have a chance. Didn't read my Counter Claim which he had in his file during the hearing.

The judge had my Counter Claim in his file, but he didn't read it. I had been advised by the District Clerk's office that I would have to present my documents, which validate my claim for protection of my assets under Texas Separate Property law, to the court at the Final Hearing. This wasn't allowed.

1. Mark Anthony Cohan

Pro

2

Answered . You have to follow the rules of evidence. In Texas, you can't just show papers to the judge if there's a lawyer on the other side. You have to jump through hoops to authenticate your documents-- which means filing business record affidavits, certified copies of public documents and proving them up before the trial. If it's within 30 days of your trial, you can file a motion for new trial.

I'd strongly recommend consulting a local attorney.

2. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

1

1

Answered . I agree with counsel. Property issues in a divorce may be more complex than any other. If you've got concerns you should get a lawyer. In addition, Appellate courts are even more formal and complex than trial courts.