How do I establish a legal guardianship for my little sister?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lubbock, TX

About nine months ago, I was signed over custody of my six-year old sister from my father. I drove from Lubbock to Houston (where they resided at a motel) My mother is mentally ill, homeless, and can't take care of herself. My father is homeless, an alcoholic, and addicted to stimulants. Lately, I have been getting threatening phone calls from my father saying he is going to take her away from me and hurt me and my boyfriend. My little sister cries when she has to talk to him, and says she is scared of him. She has food when she needs it, her own room, her own puppy, and is involved in school! What would I need to do to get full or official court custody of her? I was told we would have to serve him legal papers, but we don't have anyway of contacting him directly. Any advice will help.

1. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

2

Answered . You need a lawyer to help you with this. Try either a private lawyer or ask the local bar for a pro bono lawyer or see if Tech's law school has a legal aid program. As a last ditch effort, look to CPS for help

2. Vicki Elaine Wiley

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Moore that you need an attorney! Check to see if Tech law has a law clinic, another option if you cannot afford an attorney is to check with Catholic charities. You may need to get an emergency protective order in place, as well as Conservatorship orders. Good luck!