Skip to main content

How do I enforce a parenting plan that was certified by the courts

Kent, WA |

parenting plans

Attorney Answers 2


Any lawyer would need a whole lot more information. If your parenting plan was signed by the court, then it's an official court order. If the other parent refuses to comply with the parenting plan, you can file a motion for contempt. The

It's not clear what part of the parenting plan is not being followed. However, as a court order the court will enforce it exactly as written. No one gets to decide when and if a court order applies. If the other party doesn't like the parenting plan, then they need to go back to court rather than ignore a court order.

The forms you need to file a contempt can be accessed through the link below

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


In general, if the other parent is failing to comply with the parenting plan approved by the court, the quickest route to compliance is by bringing the matter back to the court as a motion to compel and motion for sanctions. You may be able to have some or all of your attorney's fees awarded against the other parent in such a proceeding if the court finds the lack of compliance willful.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics