How do I document incidents so I can still obtain unemplyment benefits if I am currently employed?

Asked over 2 years ago - Georgetown, TX

I recently found out through a co-worker I am looking to be replaced by an ex-employee and friend of my boss. It seems as soon as I got wind of this news I have been questioned via e-mail, about issues which were handled months ago. Do I need to retain an attorney, or is there something I can do to ensure I cover my bases so I can qualify for benefits? I have never been terminated from a job, so this is new to me.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Daniel L. Morris

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Texas is a "Right to work" state. What that really means is that your employer can fire you at any time for any reason. If they do, you are eligible for unemployment benefits.

    If you truly believe that they are trying to fire you, make sure that you are always on time and do your job. This will make it harder for them to find things to write you up. I would additionally begin looking for another job.

    If they write you up improperly, write a rebuttal to the warning. If your employer discriminates against you for your race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, pregnancy, disability or veteran status; you may have a wrongful termination claim and contact an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,745 answers this week

2,628 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,745 answers this week

2,628 attorneys answering