Skip to main content

How do I divorce an immigrant that is in the UK

Houston, TX |

We have been seperated for 8 years. I have no way of contacting him anymore. Once I tried to reach him through a family member, about 5 years ago, they were hostile, and uncooperative. I was never contacted by him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes it can be done. It will take a divorce by publication and the judge will appoint an attorney to represent his interests.

Contact me if you want help.

It's not cheap but I know how to do it right! or 713-847-6000.


So long as you have been a domiciliary of Texas for 6 months, and a resident of the county in which you intend to file, you may file for divorce against your spouse regardless of where your spouse resides.

The problem that is most apparent from your question is the problem of giving him notice of the divorce. Ordinarily, personal service is best, and should be attempted first. But there are other options for service, including service of notice of the divorce by publication, and other methods. These alternate methods must be approved by the courts. A qualified family law attorney should be consulted, and at the same time you should make every effort to determine where your spouse or your spouses relatives are, or how they may be contacted. The more information you can gather and provide, the less expensive this process will be-- even if you do not determine your spouse's precise location, the additional information will help.

Thank-you for the opportunity to respond.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer