Skip to main content

How do i delay a court case

Oshkosh, WI |

I misread the date and need more time

Attorney Answers 3


Have your defense counsel seek a continuance.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Draft a letter to the Court asking for a continuance. The judge may grant or deny this request depending on her judicial philosophy, the nature of the hearing, and explanation provided. Judges generally will grant an attorneys request so long as a good reason is provided and the attorney has not made a practice of arbitrary delaying matters.

This is not intended as legal advice. It is only provided for educational purposes and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Further no attorney client relationship is or has been formed by answering this question.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You need to make a continuance request. Your attorney should provide an established basis for the request. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics