Skip to main content

How do I declare myself independent of my parents for financial aid purposes because they do not support me finacially at all?

Gainesville, FL |

I am a college student who is under the age of 24.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This is a factual requirement spelled out by federal regulation. Generally, one must :

Be 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year;
Be an orphan (both parents deceased), ward of the court, in foster care or was a ward of the court when 13 years or older;
Be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or serving on active duty for other than training purposes;
Be a graduate or professional student;
Be a married individual;
Have legal dependents other than a spouse;
Be an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship;
Be a homeless youth;
Be a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances.

Otherwise , file Dependency Review Form; (request one from your school). You also must provide documentation explaining your situation. Your case is then reviewed by a committee or financial aid office at your college.

Keep in mind that most students will not qualify for a change in status. Circumstances tend to be extreme (such as abandonment or physical abuse) to warrant the change. Simply residing in your own apartment or house is not adequate justification.

If you think you have unusual circumstances that would qualify you as an independent, speak with a financial aid administrator at your school.

Good luck.

Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctrine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Again,should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer