How do I correct points on my license that should never have been there.

Asked over 1 year ago - New Port Richey, FL

A year ago I received a careless driving ticket due to an accident. I entered a plea of no contest and received a letter a few days later stating the court finds me guilty of the offense and withholds adjudication. I am ordered to pay $164 within 30 days, which I do the next day. I ask the clerk if anything else needs to be done, told no, and I go on my way. Fast forward 10 months and my company pulls a MVR which states I was convicted of careless driving with 4 points assessed. Due to very stringent insurance guidelines, my job is now in jeopardy. Unless I can correct this, my company will send me packing. No one at the clerk of court is the least bit helpful and I'm gonna lose my mind soon! How do I fix this?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jason M. Melton


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You always have the right to approach the court regarding any errors in the disposition. This would be a good example of one as a conviction carriers points and effects your job, whereas the withhold has no points.

  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally, a defendant will waive his right to appeal the plea in the plea agreement. A defendant can appeal a plea agreement only if it was entered into involuntarily, unknowingly, or without knowledge of the consequences of the plea. Have a local lawyer in your city investigate.

  3. Elizabeth Taylor Herd


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Contact an attorney in NPR who can help you address the ticket. You are going to need advice in order to expunge your record.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,618 answers this week

3,176 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,618 answers this week

3,176 attorneys answering