How do I correct my middle name on my birth certificate from Puerto Rico?

Oviedo, FL |
Filed under: Birth certificate

I need to make a correction on my birth certificate, the middle name is incorrect and does not match my social, drivers license or my marriage certificate. I never noticed it until I got a new birth certificate from Puerto Rico after the law changed 2 years ago. They noticed it and pointed it out to me. Can I request the change to be done here in Florida? I really can't travel to PR at this time. Please help! thanks.

You'd have to check with the authorities in Puerto Rico to see if there is a method of amending your birth certificate at this late date and whether you can have it amended remotely. I doubt that either is possible, but you should check.

In Florida, you can file a petition for name change and have your middle name changed to the way you currently use it.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

It may be possible, but without knowing how Puerto Rico operates when it comes to a question like this I cannot effectively advise you.

Mr. Rose is correct that in Florida you can petition to have your name changed, however, it seems from what you have mentioned that your name is correct on all other forms of identification, and that the PR birth certificate is the only issue.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

I called Puerto Rico and they said that I have to get a lawyer there and go to court to get it resolved. My issue is that I want to travel and I dont want problems with boarding.

Not sure if I get a local lawyer if they can help me with the paperwork, but still, I think the lawyer has to go to court in PR? not sure. Thanks for your help, I really appreciated.

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

It might be best to contact an attorney there. Depending on their process, they may have to indeed go to court on your behalf. This does not mean necessarily that you need to go to court, but if it must be handled in PR then an attorney in Florida is not going to be helpful.

That is what I thought. Do you have any idea how much they would charge me for this type of case? Ballpark?

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Not sure what attorneys in PR charge compared to FL but I cannot imagine more than $1k

If it cannot be done in PR, consult an attorney about a petition for name change. I have been doing a lot of them because of the recent changes requiring a birth certificate for renewing a DL. The judges are granting them without hearing, but unless you are restoring a former name, a criminal background check, both state and national is necessary.