How do I convince judge/clerk/whoever to take off the two (2) points for my ticket? (Willing to pay fine) What is the process?

New York, NY |

Ticket for Disobey traffic device (didn't see a no turn sign)
1st Offense
I'm not from NYC
I pleaded not guilty, but I'm not sure how/who to negotiate with to at least take off the points so that I can pay the fine. (Additionally, it a reduced fine possible as well? $230 is quite expensive).

1. Judging from your location of NYC, there is no plea bargaining. The only way to avoid the points is to be found not guilty. If you received it anywhere other than the 5 boros, you may be able to plea bargain.

2. There is no plea bargaining in NYC Traffic Court so your options are to plead guilty or go to trial. If you want to go to trial I suggest you hire a local Traffic Court lawyer who regularly appears there.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. As other attorneys indicated there is no plea bargaining in NYC. Get a lawyer to fight the ticket. That's your best bet.

4. I agree with the above answers. If you were not in one of the boroughs you can take a plea. Otherwise, to avoid these points, you're going to go to trial.

Good luck

5. If you think $230 is expensive a lawyer is even more. We cannot give you a legal treatise here online as to how to defend your ticket. Best of luck!