How do i contest my sons mother relocating to another state?

Asked over 3 years ago - Olympia, WA

her reason for moving is school...however i have written proof via an online forum that she plans to do so out of spite and to get away from me...would this help me in court? also how many offenses of her keeping my son from me on scheduled visits does it take to have a custodial interference charge looked at seriously? it is an ongoing problem. thank you

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Robert Martin Morgan Hill

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you have court ordered residential time with your son, te mother is obligates to give you formal notice of her intent to relocate, which triggers your right to object to the move. If you believe thatshe is not going to give you formal notice, you are legally permitted to file your objection to her relocation and seek restraints against the relocation even though she hasn't made a formal notice.

    Once that process is underway, the court is directed to consider a number of factors in deciding whether or not to permit the move. Check out my avvo guide on opposing a relocation for some information on the factors, the process and strategic considerations. Some of the factors may be Impacted by information that indicates that her motivation for moving is perhaps improper or that she is acting in bad faith in proposing to relocate.

    As far as custodial interference is concerned, there would generally need to be an extended denial of contact or an effort to hide the child before criminal charges would be considered. However it sounds like you may have grounds for contempt, and if her actions are having the effect of significantly interfering with your court ordered residential time, you should consult with an experienced local attorney about bringing a contempt action.

  2. Rodney George Pierce

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The prior attorney has provided some good information. You may go to RCW 26.09.520 to review the factors that the court is to review on a request to relocate. It is important to review the statutes (RCW 26.09.405-915) to understand the rekocation process.

    The other parent may be in contempt of court for not aloowing the children to be with you on your PP time. Two contempt orders in a 3 year period of time may justify the court in modifying the custodial arrangements (RCW 26.09.260(2)(d)).

    I would suggest that you contact a family law attorney and get a 30 minute free consultation. You may contact my office and I will be happy to discuss the issue with you right away.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Pierce is licensed to practice law in Washing with an office in Seattle and services... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,512 answers this week

3,023 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,512 answers this week

3,023 attorneys answering