How do I complete the Green Card Process?

Asked about 2 years ago - Gainesville, GA

I am looking to work in the USA after finishing my teaching degree at Brenau University, Gainesville, GA. I am currently in my junior year and have been granted a four year scholarship through the help of playing soccer. Now it is coming up to my senior year, I want to work and live in the US. The degree that I am studying is to become a middle grades teacher with the concentration areas of social studies and science.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James B. Hernan

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should consult with an attorney to review your options for obtaining permanent residency or work authorization through another process (such as deferred action). Often, universities have resources available to international students to give advice regarding these matters. I would start with an international students counselor at your school.

    DISCLAIMER: This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationsip has been, or will be,... more
  2. Susan A. Glover

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . In order to get a green card, you will either have to marry a US Citizen, win the lottery, get an employer to petition for you. Once you finish college, you will get the Optional Practical Training for year. An advance degree could help. Areas in short supply of teachers may be willing to sponsor you. Talk with the DSO to find out what to do as you prepare towards your senior year. All the best!

  3. Eugene J. Glicksman

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . I agree with my colleague Mr. Hernan. Speak with the Designated School Official (also known as the Foreign Student Advisor) for some personal guidance. You may also wish to consult with an experienced immigration attorney as well.

    Good luck!

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. A... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,400 answers this week

2,821 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,400 answers this week

2,821 attorneys answering