How do I compel production in AAA Arbitration?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hemet, CA

I have a civil suit that was moved to AAA Arbitration pursuant to an alleged contractual provision. Some defendants remained in the Superior Court with the action stayed pending resolution of arbitration. Those defendants have critical information about the damages. Do I just send them a demand for production? IS the correct procedure to have the arbitrator issue a subpoena for my information?

Do I serve the demands or subpoenas on the attorney of record in the Superior Court or on the registered agent for the corporation?

1. Lloyd Stewart Mann

Pro

4

1

Answered . Generally, after a case is commenced with the American Arbitration Association, you will have a telephonic conference with the arbitrator and all other parties/counsel in the case. You will discuss various discovery issues. You said that you were ordered into arbitration based upon a contractual agreement. That same agreement may contain a provision with respect to what type of discovery you are entitled to pursue. Generally, however, in an arbitration proceeding you would be able to subpoena documents from other parties and non-parties to the arbitration. You are correct that with the AAA you would obtain the subpoenas from the AAA. Unless you reach an agreement with the various attorneys for the non-parties, you could not simply serve the attorney for that non-party unless the attorney is the listed as the authorized agent for service. In addition, the individuals, or entities, who are defendants in the stayed state court action are non-parties in the AAA action so they would be treated precisely as non-parties. You can't simply issue them a Request for Production of Documents.

2. Charles Richard Perry

Pro

1

Answered . You need to review the rules for the specific type of arbitration you are involved in, to see how you can obtain documents from a third party. It normally involves the issuance and service of a subpoena. I do not see how you can issue a demand for production to anyone who is not a party to the arbitration.

Note that the discovery rules for arbitration are much, much different from those in the courts. you need to read the AAA rules carefully here.

3. Brett Gregory Evans

Answered . As my esteemed colleagues above have stated, after the arbitrator(s) have been appointed, the pre-hearing conference will go over discovery issues, dates and other procedural matters. Arbitration in general has more limited discovery and your "alleged contractual" arbitration agreement may further limit discovery, but as you are dealing with a non-party to the agreement, the agreement can't, by itself, obligate a non-signatory, party or beneficiary beneficiary of the agreement. Thus, unless you were able to acquire the documents by request, you would need to acquire a subpoena from AAA arbitrator.

However, a common issue with non-party production in arbitration is not necessary the issuance of the subpoena (assuming your request is reasonably related to the matter, reasonably limited in scope, etc.), but enforcement of the subpoena assuming the non-party/third-party fails to comply with it. At that point, you generally must go back to the court to seek a motion to compel production, either under the FAA (federal) or the state arbitration act (for example, Cal. Code Civ. Pro. 1280-1294.2). The enforcement provisions are different under each and I would highly recommend you seek out competent counsel to protect your interests in the arbitration.