How do I collect unpaid overtime?

Asked about 5 years ago - California

My former employer pays no overtime to any hourly employee. I have timesheets showing over 500 hours of overtime. Do I send a letter requesting payment? Do I just make a claim with the state and let them collect it for me?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. William M. Pao

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . It is always preferable to resolve these types of issues informally with your employer if at all possible. However, before you take any action, you may want to consult with an employment attorney to discuss the facts of your case. You also have the option of contacting the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement ( to have your wage claim adjudicated.

  2. Herbert J Tan

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Depending of several factors, you may also be entitled to relief under the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,597 answers this week

2,592 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,597 answers this week

2,592 attorneys answering