Skip to main content

How do I collect on a judgment made by Montgomery County (MD) Circuit Court Family Law division? Will I need a lawyer?

Rockville, MD |

A judgment was entered in my favor in Montgomery County (MD) Circuit Court Family Law division. The District Court web site spells out precisely what one needs to do to collect on a judgment. However, the clerks in the FL offices tell me they do not have forms (e.g. Writ of Garnishment) for individuals to use to collect on a judgment. The DC forms can not be used. I am at a loss what to do or where to go next. It's something I'd like to attempt without the expense of an attorney (the judgment is small). Any advice

Attorney Answers 2


If you know where the other party works, then you can request that the clerk of the court issue a garnishment of wages. If you know where the other party banks, then you can request that the clerk of the court issue a garnishment other than wages. The Maryland Rules contain the specific requirements for those requests. While I would recommend that you seek the assistance of a lawyer, if you cannot afford one or do not think that the expense is warranted given the amount of the judgment, you can go to the law library in the Circuit Court and ask the librarian to show you the rules. Additionally, there is a pro bono law clinic in the Circuit Court on certain days. You may ask the Family Law Clerk to tell you the times and days and you may get some assistance.

Please be advised that any information or advice given herein does not constitute an attorney client relationship. Further, before taking any actions or deciding not to take any actions, you should seek counsel of an attorney. This forum cannot provide you with the anyalysis and detail necessary for a full and accurate opinion to be rendered.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


You do not say but I suspect your judgment was with respect to child support. If so, take the judgement over to the Office of Child Support Enforcement. If proper, they will open a case file and pursue collection on your judgment on your behalf. The OCSE has all the resources of the state so they can reach much further and with greater enforcement than you could do otherwise - and at no cost to you.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics