How do I check to see if I have a good lawyer out of state?

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, IN

I found a lawyer on line when my sister died out of state and had lots of assets but no will.How can I check him out to see he is honest because I am in a different state

1. Justin R Key

3

Answered . You may want to start on that state's bar association website to see if the lawyer has any past or pending disciplinary history on file.

2. Steven J. Fromm

2

Answered . Both attorneys offer sound advice. You need to talk with this attorney directly and if possible go to meet that attorney as you are going to have to go to court or the Register of Wills to be named as administrator/trix.

3. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . You can also see if the lawyer is active with Avvo or any of the other online legal sites. If so, there will be a profile that you can review which not only includes some of the lawyer's work product, (in the form of response to questions), but also a great deal of information about the lawyer, reviews from past clients and endorsements from other lawyers in the community. That should give you a much better idea about who the lawyer is and whether or not you want to work with him/her.

James Frederick