How do I change my visa status from B2 to F1 while inside the USA?, knowing that I currently hold both visas.

Beverly Hills, CA |

I currently have both B2 (visitor) and F1 (student) US visas.
I entered the using my B2 visa to join my family for vacation.
I will become eligible to stay on my F1 visa as soon as my family leaves.
How do I change my visa status without going back home?
Do I have to cross the border and re-enter?
If so, will I be able to cross the Mexican border and re-enter without having a Mexican visa?

1. Your facts are confusing. On one hand you state you have two visas, B2 and F1, and on the other hand you want to change your status to F-1. if you entered the country on visitor visa, you can file for change of status while you are in the U.S. providing you qualify for such status.

Good luck

Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
    Hassan Elkhalil
    www.greencardusa.com
    (770) 612-3499

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not create attorney-client relationship. For more details, I recommend a private consultation with an immigration lawyer.

2. There are some facts missing as to why you 'really' used the B-2 ... I suspect it is because you were arriving too early to able to use the F-1.

Yes, you can file a change of status to F-1. But, YOU CAN NOT START SCHOOL until after it is approved.

The fastest way is to cross the border.

I can not comment on your ability to enter Canada, nor Mexico, without one of their visas ... this is a US Immigration Law blog.

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

3. By filing for a change of status with the required documentation.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.