How do I change my visa status from B2 to F1 while inside the USA?, knowing that I currently hold both visas.

Asked about 2 years ago - Beverly Hills, CA

I currently have both B2 (visitor) and F1 (student) US visas.
I entered the using my B2 visa to join my family for vacation.
I will become eligible to stay on my F1 visa as soon as my family leaves.
How do I change my visa status without going back home?
Do I have to cross the border and re-enter?
If so, will I be able to cross the Mexican border and re-enter without having a Mexican visa?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . By filing for a change of status with the required documentation.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Hassan Hussein Elkhalil

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your facts are confusing. On one hand you state you have two visas, B2 and F1, and on the other hand you want to change your status to F-1. if you entered the country on visitor visa, you can file for change of status while you are in the U.S. providing you qualify for such status.

    Good luck

    Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
    Hassan Elkhalil
    (770) 612-3499

    Disclaimer: This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not create attorney-client relationship. For more details, I recommend a private consultation with an immigration lawyer.

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . There are some facts missing as to why you 'really' used the B-2 ... I suspect it is because you were arriving too early to able to use the F-1.

    Yes, you can file a change of status to F-1. But, YOU CAN NOT START SCHOOL until after it is approved.

    The fastest way is to cross the border.

    I can not comment on your ability to enter Canada, nor Mexico, without one of their visas ... this is a US Immigration Law blog.

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Student visas

Student and exchange visitor visas allow people to come to the United States temporarily for a specific educational or cultural purpose.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,869 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,869 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering