How do I change my name with SSI Office after divorce?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I just got a divorce granted by the judge and he signed the order judgment where i can go back to use my maiden name. I have that order signed by the judge but the people at the SSI said i need someone with affix seal. What is that and can someone elxplain what I need and how to get it?

1. Ralanda Webb

6

Answered . The only "seal" available to you is a certification by the clerk of the circuit court. If you are in Cook County, go to the Daley Center, 50 W. Washington. The clerk's office for the Domestic Relations Division is on the 8th floor.

Bring an extra copy of the judgment showing that you have leave to return to your maiden name.
    They will charge you about $10 to certify the copy. Take the certified copy to Social Security.

2. Andrea Medlock Harvey

5

1

Answered . An affixed seal is a certified copy of the divorce order. Go to the clerk's office and ask for a certified copy of your order. There is a cost associated. When you got to the clerk's office, have your case number which will help them find your order more quickly. They will give you a copy with a raised seal it's usually also in red and will say "certified copy etc..."

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

3

Answered . You need a certified copy of the divorce decree. Go to the clerk's office to get that. Usually there is a fee to get a certified copy.