How do I change my name on my deed after marriage?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Spring Hill, FL

I have a house with a mortgage and have recently been married. The house is in my maiden name. Since we are planning to refinance in the next few months, do I need to change my name on deed before that or take care of that all at once?

If I don't change the name, how does that effect my homestead and taxes?

1. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . You do not have to change your name on your deed prior to refinancing. Not changing your name on the deed until you refinance will not change your homestead or taxes. When you do refinance, the mortgagor on the new mortgage will be "Mary Jones, a married woman, formerly known as Mary Smith, joined by her husband Peter Jones." Your husband will be joining in the mortgage only because he is required to by the Florida Constitution.

2. David L. Carrier

Pro

Answered . No effect!