Skip to main content

How do I change my name back to my birth name to match my SSN? I have no ID to verify what it had been, just ID for birth name.

Sunnyvale, CA |

At 18 I changed my name legally. 7 mo. later I figured this was a stupid mistake and went back to using my birth name, without legally filing paperwork to change it back. It wasn't a problem until I efiled my taxes this year, 16 years later, and got an IRS rejection. I went to SS office and they told me I had to go to court. I have no ID of the old name change, just ID of my birth name that I want to keep. No income received or taxes filed under the OLD name. I want my SSN to match my birth name. I'm a low income individual. What do I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Perhaps start by going to the court where you changed the name to get your records?


In California, a name change requires a court order. For instructions on how to change your own name, go to:

For instructions on how to amend a birth record, see:

Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.


You don't need a lawyer to obtain an order to change your name, including changing it back as described in your question. Click on the link provided by Mr. Frank Wei-Hong Chen, and follow the instructions. Your local court likely has a free self-help or facilitators office that can also provide assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer