How do I change my first name as F - 1 student after marriage to us citizen ? Should I do it before or after filling AOS ?

Deerfield Beach, FL |

I'm an international student f - 1 and got married to a U . S citizen . Now we are planning to file adjustment of status . I want to take his last name and also change my first name . I don't know if I should do it before filling paperwork or after . For changing my last name , do I have to go through a specific procedure or can I just put his last name as my last name in all my immigration paperwork and send it out to USCIS ?

Do I have to go through court to get my first name change with an original copy of birth certificate from my country or can I use a photocopy.?

1. Go ahead and change your name to his name. The marriage is all that is needed to allow a wife to change her name to her husband's name. If you have any other concerns with the process, I strongly recommend that you consider retaining a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Perhaps, an appointment will help you best understand marriage visa processing. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

2. Change your name on all your immigration paperwork, and once you get your employment authorization card, go and get a social security under your new name. Next, go and have a sate ID or drover's license issued under your new last name.

Appear with all these 3 documents at your AOS interview. The name on your national passport won't matter. You will get a green card under your married last name.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. I agree with my colleagues. Once you are married, you can legally change your name and apply for Adjustment of Status under the married name.

Azam | Snytkin, P.A., 407-571-6926 www.azam-snytkin.com DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.