Skip to main content

How do I change my daughters hyphenated last name, we are both unmarried, he is in jail and i have a restraining order on him.

Irwindale, CA |

While I was in the hospital, after my daughters birth (she is now 6 months old) I had not intended on changing my daughters last name to his because I did not want this. Her Father knew this but in the hour after she was born he said his family asked him to ask me if I would change it and I said no. He seemed angry. But the next day, I was seemingly ambushed into changing the name. I ended up hyphenating our last names.

Now, I have a restraining order on him for 3 years which was established 2/17/2012. I want to drop his last name from her on the birth certificate. And he's in jail pending a charge. Can I ammend the birth certificate without his consent?

We have never been married.

I have sole custody of her and he gets no visitation till he files paternity as per the judges orders.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can petition for a name change for the child but you must serve the father with the petition and he may file a response or objection.

The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to questions does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always see a lawyer about your individual situation.



How do I serve the Father if he is in jail?

Michael John Harrington

Michael John Harrington


the Sheriff can do it ( or if hes in prison, then the prison legal liasion)


You must file a name-change petition at your local courthouse. The clerk should be able to provide you a packet, or sell you one at a nominal cost. It requires notice to both parents if the person whose name will be changed is a minor.

For instructions, you may find this book,, or another book available at your local library, law library, or legal bookstore, helpful.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer