Skip to main content

How do I change an error in the birth date to an already submitted petition for status adjustment?

Pomona, CA |

The form was returned to me, but they didn't catch the error, now the wrong birthdate is entered. Do I submit a brand new petition or do I make a note of it and return it?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You can change the date on the petition.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  2. Why was your form returned to you? Do you mean that you received a receipt notice? If so, you can call the customer service and they may be able to help. It is likely easier to contact an attorney.

    Raja S. Gill | Attorney At Law | Gill Law Group | T: (855) 600-4567 | T: (949) 333-0891 | F: (949) 625-4816 Disclaimer: Answers/information provided on this site general nature for information and educational purposes only. The answer may or may not apply to the facts of your case. Please consult an attorney before making any decisions or in any way relying on this information.

  3. You will have to contact USCIS and correct error. You may want to consult with an attorney.

  4. I would write USCIS a letter and inform them of the error, and I would make sure to bring it up at the time of the adjustment of status interview. Good luck.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics