How do I cancel a hearing with Family Court?

Asked about 1 year ago - Helmetta, NJ

I recently filed a Motion for a non oral argument asking to relocate my children to another state. The hearing is set for October 25th. I want to cancel this hearing as I know my ex husband has hired an attorney and I do not have one and basically know I don't have a shot at winning. How do I cancel this with the court? Also, I thought that since I had requested a non oral argument that neither one of us was required to be there. Are we able to attend this hearing if we wanted to?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Philip Smith Burnham II


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If the other party has not responded or filed a Cross-Motion to your Motion, you can withdraw your Motion. You should immediately go the family Court on Monday (you might be able to call them today before 4:30 pm) and withdraw the Motion.

    Good luck.

    Please mark as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if our advice helped you. I would be happy to follow up with you.... more
  2. Stephen C. Cooper

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If a hearing date is scheduled for October 25th, I suggest you attend, and ask for appointed counsel if you cannot afford one. If no "hearing" has been scheduled, no appearance is necessary. Check whatver notice you received or call the clerk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,001 answers this week

3,239 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,001 answers this week

3,239 attorneys answering