How do I calculate interest on payment of back child support in Texas.

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Worth, TX

I have a court order for child support from 1989 which equals $16,000. I have not collected it because ex is convicted murderer and threatened me. He is now living luxurious lifestyle and collects social security and I want to enforce judgement. What do I need to file with court and how do I calculate interest. It was 12% at time of order. I live in Texas.

1. Elizabeth Durso Branch

Pro

2

Answered . Attorneys have computer programs for this. I would suggest that you contact the Office of the Attorney General or a private attorney to collect the support owed to you for your child or children so that the interest can be calculated accurately. The 12% interest rate is on unconfirmed arrearages. That figure changed, by statute to 6% in January 2002. Also, you refer to a judgment. I take by that comment that you had your arrearages confirmed and obtained a judgment at some point in the past.