Skip to main content

How do I break an adoption?

Temple Hills, MD |
Filed under: Child adoption

Hi! I was adopted at the age of 10 to come to the US and all of my papers are based on the adoption. I am 24 years old and want to break the adoption. I was told that I would be able to petition for my biological relatives in Haiti since my original last name was left as my middle name. However, when I sent the application I was asked to show proof that the adoption had been broken. So, how do I break the adoption? What are the specifics? Who exactly do I need to get in touch with for such procedure? Thank you!

Attorney Answers 2


It is doubtful that a court will void your adoption. Because you obtained your immigration status through your adoptive parents, you cannot file an immigration petition for your biological parents. There is a specific regulation on that issue.

Perhaps there are other ways that you can help your family in Haiti.

Best of Luck

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


To add to the last answer it appears that you were allowed to immigrate based on the adoption. I would certainly consult with an immigration attorney about how to proceed or if you should proceed. Best of lusk to you.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

Child adoption topics

Recommended articles about Child adoption

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics