How do I begin a lawsuit for defamation and slander/libel that caused me to get fired?

Asked 8 months ago - San Angelo, TX

An unknown co-worker made a false claim that I was making threats in the workplace. I was brought in to meet the company HR. I firmly explained these allegations are false, and asked who made them as I intended to get a lawyer. The guy told me no lawyer can make him say who it was and that if any other reports come in I will be fired. Recently I was visited by agents of the FBI and Secret Service who told me calls came in that I was making threats to kill the president and was making bombs. These further false allegations resulted in the company HR to call me and inform me I was now fired. How do I file a suit against this person if my former employer refuses to say who they are?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can find a local defamation lawyer in your city by using Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,333 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,333 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary