How do I become legally separated to protect my assets?

Valencia, PA |

How do I begin process of legally separating? Dividing assets, living arrangements, spousal waiver, kids, custody, etc. Is there a mediation process?

1. Yes you could go through the mediation process if your spouse agrees or you could go see your local experienced attorney for advice. The process usually starts with filing of a divorce complaint which includes counts for custody, support, and division of assets.

Michael Kuldiner, Esq. (215) 942-2100. This response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The response is intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be current, complete, or up-to-date. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between MIchael Kuldiner, Esquire and any party. The responses provided on this website are offered only for general informational and educational purposes. They are not offered as and do not constitute legal advice or legal opinions. You should not act or rely on any information contained in these responses without first seeking the advice of an attorney.

2. I suggest you get a consultation with a lawyer. The two of you, if you agree to getting a divorce and to a division of the property can enter into an agreement addressing your economic claims. You can also address custody but be aware that custody provisions can always be revisited.

3. It is not possible to give you specific advice as to the various issues that you raised in this forum. An attorney would need to have significant background information in order to assist you with your questions. There is a mediation process and there are many attorneys who are trained in collaborative law who can help you to resolve your case without litigation. You can educate yourself on this process by going to the websit at collaborativepractice.com. By the way, PA does not recognize legal separations.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.

4. You should consult with 2 or 3 attorneys in your area and then pick the one that seems most reasonable. Please make sure whether you want a separation or a divorce.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.