How do I become legally separated to protect my assets?

Asked 11 months ago - Valencia, PA

How do I begin process of legally separating? Dividing assets, living arrangements, spousal waiver, kids, custody, etc. Is there a mediation process?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael Kuldiner


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes you could go through the mediation process if your spouse agrees or you could go see your local experienced attorney for advice. The process usually starts with filing of a divorce complaint which includes counts for custody, support, and division of assets.

    Michael Kuldiner, Esq. (215) 942-2100. This response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute... more
  2. Randi Joy Silverman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is not possible to give you specific advice as to the various issues that you raised in this forum. An attorney would need to have significant background information in order to assist you with your questions. There is a mediation process and there are many attorneys who are trained in collaborative law who can help you to resolve your case without litigation. You can educate yourself on this process by going to the websit at By the way, PA does not recognize legal separations.

    My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute... more
  3. Susan J. Vandegrift


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I suggest you get a consultation with a lawyer. The two of you, if you agree to getting a divorce and to a division of the property can enter into an agreement addressing your economic claims. You can also address custody but be aware that custody provisions can always be revisited.

  4. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should consult with 2 or 3 attorneys in your area and then pick the one that seems most reasonable. Please make sure whether you want a separation or a divorce.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,560 answers this week

2,745 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,560 answers this week

2,745 attorneys answering