Skip to main content

How do I avoid my license getting cancelled ??

Baltimore, MD |

I got a speeding ticket an year ago in NY upstate. I had a FL driving license then. I was fined and was not informed if there were any points on my license (I assumed there were). Later, since my parents moved to MD permanently, I have changed my license to MD state. Now, after a year later, I came to know that I have received a letter from FL DMV to my old FL address stating order of cancellation of my license for a indefinite period due to failure to take basic driving improvement class that I was not even aware of being informed of. I was only lucky enough to have been informed that I received at least this letter. The letter stated that the cancellation is to be in effect from July 23rd. Please suggest me what can be done. I do not want to hold the record of having my license cancelled

Attorney Answers 3


As you have changed your license to Maryland I do not think Florida would have the power to suspend your Maryland driver's license. However to avoid any possible hits to your insurance I'd contact a Maryland Speeding Ticker/Traffic court attorney to discuss this further.

If you are in Massachusetts, my answering of your question does not constitute an attorney/client relationship and are for informational purposes only. If you wish to contact me to discuss your question further I offer a 30 minute free consultation and can be reached at 413-522-6263. If you are not in Massachusetts I am not giving you legal advice as I am not licensed in your state and my comments should be viewed as for informational purposes only.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Florida can suspend your right to drive in Florida and this may well impact your license in Maryland due to interstate compacts. You should contact an attorney in Florida to help you clear up your license issues there.

The information provided is not intended as legal advice and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you are in the greater Sacramento area and wish a further consultation please contact me at (916)594-9442.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


The state talk to one another about drivers licences. the states have an "interstate compact"

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics