How do I avoid hiring an attorney from a law mill?

San Francisco, CA |

I'm planning on hiring an attorney. I would like to know how to avoid hiring an attorney from a law mill.
Someone warned me that some attorneys don't really try your case; She said, her attorney didn't even fill out her pleading forms with specific details; it was all generic--could have been anybody's case, and tnen he collected the settlement. How do I avoid this?

1. Interview your attorney prospects. Ask around to your friends and others who are satisfied with attorneys who have helped them in the past.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs. www.figgardenlaw.com

2. Do your research of any attorney of firm here on Avvo and elsewhere and be prepared with to ask specifics about how your case will be handled. However, remember that depending on the type of case it is not unusual to have associate attorneys and paralegals assist.

Don't forget to check "Helpful" if I helped you out. This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and is based on the limited information available at the time of the response. Before acting on anything stated or referenced in this response you should consult with an attorney of your choosing and go over the specific details of your legal circumstances. My responses are also given in the context of the laws of the State of Louisiana. To the extent this comment involves principles of law governed by another state my comment merely reflects my opinion and should not be considered legal advice.

3. The short answer to "How do I avoid hiring an attorney from a law mill" is to avoid law mills and look for a quality firm or solo practitioner who will focus on your case and not farm it out.

Do your homework. Research the firm/attorney you're considering. When you meet with them to discuss your case and retaining them, get it in writing who will actually be working on your case, etc.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

4. While I generally agree with my colleagues' responses and agree that you should continue to search for an attorney with whom you are comfortable and who you trust, and avoid a mill.
    That being said, you should also know that not every case needs a work up for trial. Most cases settle - and most personal injury cases settle. And settlement, while a compromise, assures you of one thing: actual payment, instead of a defense verdict at trial and/or an appeal and/or chasing down the money.
    You don't tell us anything about the nature of your case - which is fine. But many cases - simple personal injury claims and simple contract disputes - can be initiated by filing form complaints that require only certain boxes to be checked and information provided. If your case warrants such a form, its use does not mean your attorney is not competent - just efficient.

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.