How do I avoid hiring an attorney from a law mill?

Asked 10 months ago - San Francisco, CA

I'm planning on hiring an attorney. I would like to know how to avoid hiring an attorney from a law mill.
Someone warned me that some attorneys don't really try your case; She said, her attorney didn't even fill out her pleading forms with specific details; it was all generic--could have been anybody's case, and tnen he collected the settlement. How do I avoid this?

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

2

1

Answered . The short answer to "How do I avoid hiring an attorney from a law mill" is to avoid law mills and look for a quality firm or solo practitioner who will focus on your case and not farm it out.

Do your homework. Research the firm/attorney you're considering. When you meet with them to discuss your case and retaining them, get it in writing who will actually be working on your case, etc.

2. Sean Patrick Lewis

1

1

Answered . Interview your attorney prospects. Ask around to your friends and others who are satisfied with attorneys who have helped them in the past.

3. Herb Fox

1

1

Answered . While I generally agree with my colleagues' responses and agree that you should continue to search for an attorney with whom you are comfortable and who you trust, and avoid a mill.
    That being said, you should also know that not every case needs a work up for trial. Most cases settle - and most personal injury cases settle. And settlement, while a compromise, assures you of one thing: actual payment, instead of a defense verdict at trial and/or an appeal and/or chasing down the money.
    You don't tell us anything about the nature of your case - which is fine. But many cases - simple personal injury claims and simple contract disputes - can be initiated by filing form complaints that require only certain boxes to be checked and information provided. If your case warrants such a form, its use does not mean your attorney is not competent - just efficient.

4. Craig Bernard Mitchell

1

1

Answered . Do your research of any attorney of firm here on Avvo and elsewhere and be prepared with to ask specifics about how your case will be handled. However, remember that depending on the type of case it is not unusual to have associate attorneys and paralegals assist.