Skip to main content

How do I attempt to have a medical procedure covered for my former spouse as I inherited this debt in the divorce.

Gilbert, AZ |

I am taking on an MRI debt done on my ex in 2010 that she had done for breast pain due to implants. My lawyer never wrote in an amount on this agreement b/c she advised I submit it to the ins company. I did this and the company said they denied the appeals my ex submitted. At one point my ex said it was coded wrong. I don't know what steps to take to rectify this. I can get limited information as it wasn't my bill per HIPPA and my ex is not willing to assist. How do I get this covered? Can I get this covered? If not I want the decree to reflect I only owe the balance at the time my ex was served as it is with all the other debt listed.

Attorney Answers 2


As far as the insurance company is concerned, there is nothing you can do about it. This procedure involved your ex, and as you guessed, HIPPA (and other laws) prevent them from dealing with you about this. So, if your ex won't cooperate in getting the denial reversed (which may or may not be possible), then you'll either have to pay the balance owed (since you agree to do so in your decree - it was a mistake to leave the dollar amount open - it means you simply agreed to assume 100% of the debt), or take your ex back to court to get the decree modified to remove your liability for that debt due to the non-cooperation of your ex.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree that you should consider going back to Court regarding this obligation. If your ex will not cooperate, causing you to owe more, then you should get the Court to order her to cooperate, and if she does not to then make payment her obligation. But hurry. These things are time sensitive.

I am an Attorney with Fife & Cesta, a compasionate bankruptcy firm conveniently located off the US 60 in Mesa, Arizona. In addition to our other areas of practice, Fife & Cesta is a debt relief agency. We help people and families file for relief under the bankruptcy code. The answers given here are based on the information in the question, but for a complete answer you should have a consultation with an attorney you trust. Call (480) 850-6541 for a free bankruptcy consultation. We carefully evaluate your situation and give you real advice.

Mark as helpful

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics