How do i approach my situation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Caldwell, ID

i moved into my 2 bedroom apartment on august 1,2012 it is now march 15,2013 i have a one year agreement verbally. I have told my landlord about some of the things wrong that i need fixed such as cracks on the ceiling, a whole in the closet ceiling, slugs coming from underneath the toilet, the toilet constantly running, bath tub knobs don't turn off all the way, over bottom element broken and the breaker blew my washer and drier up. he came and fixed the bath tub and the breaker box but nothing else. there is also no heat in my daughters bedroom and wires are crossed in the breaker also i have no control over the baseboard heat. even when i turn it off in the breaker box the heat does not turn off. how do i approach the situation?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Some of the most reliable tenants-rights information is available through Idaho Legal Aid Services. Although you may not be income-qualified for their services, in the past they have had excellent written materials. Inquire at their Boise office. Secondly, a "lease" needs to be in writing. Without the written agreement you are really on a month to month tenancy. As a practical matter, moving may be your most cost-effective and expeditious solution.

    Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Related Topics

Landlord responsiblities

Landlord responsibilities for a property they rent out include keeping the property up to local and federal codes, general maintenance, and making repairs.

Tenant rights

Tenant rights vary by state, but in general, you have the right to safe and habitable housing, privacy, and to not be discriminated against, among other things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,765 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,765 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering