Skip to main content

How do i apply for early release of federal supervised release

Scranton, PA |
Filed under: Federal crime

i have currently served 4 out of 5 yrs of supervised release. completed all programs paid all fines restitution and special assesments never gave a dirty urine. been gainfully employed since my release. my previous p.o agreed to assist me but was given a promotion and my file was given to another p.o. my present p.o is firm but fair but will not agree to assist me. what steps can i take to be granted an early release. i have been offered an excellent job opportunity on the condition that i am no longer on supervised release. (job requires alot of in/out of state travel) any suggestions. my offense was drug related (conspiracy to posses and distribute 50 grams or more of cocaine base (crack)

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You need to retain a criminal defense attorney who practices in Federal Court. He can file a petition before the trial huge asking for relief. Good luck.

  2. It's a shame your PO didnt get it filed before they left. You are going to have to hire an attorney now. Make sure they practice in federal court.

    Claiborne H. Ferguson, Esq. is * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization.

  3. At this point only an experienced defense attorney who can practice in federal court can assist you with filing a petition for early release.

  4. A motion can be filed with the U.S. District Court judge who imposed sentence, requesting early termination of supervised release. The Court has the authority to grant this motion. Importantly, the motion should demonstrate the client's excellent performance while on Supervised Release and hopefully contain a representation that the Probation Office supports, or at least does not object to, early termination. If the Probation Office feels that early termination is not warranted, it is highly unlikely that the Court will grant the motion. Thus, the key is to get the Probation Office on board.

Federal crime topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics