Skip to main content

How do i apply for a visa for my fiance

Jersey City, NJ |

my fiance and i have just moved in together but he is strictly on a f1 visa. therefore he cannot work. no doubt about it we are going to get married we just want time to bring our families together to do it. but we need him to get at least a visa that allows him to work NOW. how do i go about applying for him to get a work visa

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Generally speaking, there is no fiance visa available for a person who is present in the US. If you wanted to apply for a fiance visa, he would have to return to his home country and wait while you apply for this visa. Depending on the country, it can take up to 8-9 months.

    The type of work visa he'll qualify for depends on his education. There is really too much go review on this forum. Your best bet is to contact a local attorney who can advise you of all the requirements for each available work visa.

  2. There is not fiance visa available to a person in the US. There is also no work authorization available to a fiance. The fastest way to get a work authorization is to get married and submit the paperwork. Many people (including me) have civil weddings to begin the paperwork then have a celebration or religious wedding months later. However, it is necessary to prove the validity of the relationship, which is the tricky part. You should work with an immigration lawyer to get through this as smoothly as possible.

  3. Speak with an immigration attorney.

    VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry Hill, Newark, and Trenton, NJ. Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please visit and share this site:

  4. You start by visiting and doing your research there.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  5. You can't petition your fiance on a "fiance visa" if he is already in the U.S. He will not be able to obtain permission to work based on your petition until you marry and file an I-130 along with other forms and documents.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics