How do I annul a domestic partnership?

Asked about 5 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

My domestic partner and myself are no longer together; how do I annul the paperwork?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Theodore W. Robinson

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The best thing you can do is see a matrimonial attorney who works in Brooklyn. There are plenty of them. Otherwise, I tend to agree with the first answer given.

    Good luck.

  2. Gerry M. Wendrovsky


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I must interject- if your partnership were created in New York City, and there are no property or children issues, this is a straightforward administrative process, and does not require annulment or other litigation.

    I suggest you review this web page for 'termination procedures'-

    Best of luck to you. If you require further assistance, kindly call.

  3. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The cause of action for annulment in New York State is generally fraud (DRL ยง140 (e)) and you'll need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details. The time limit is three years. The statute says this runs from the date the fraud was discovered, or could reasonably have been discovered.

    Good luck to you.

    God bless.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,466 answers this week

3,384 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,466 answers this week

3,384 attorneys answering