How do i adopt my grandchildren

Asked almost 4 years ago - Columbus, OH

i have custody of my grandchildren and the parents have never sopported them inthe 7 years i have has custody do i need their signature to adopt

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Merlinus Goodman Monroe

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . In Georgia, there is a statutory procedure set out for adoption by a relative of the child. If you have LEGAL custody (such as a guardianship relationship) - more than just PHYSICAL custody - then the easist way to follow through with the adoption would be to have the parents execute a Voluntary Surrender of Parental Rights to you for purposes of adoption - in other words, cover all of your bases. In Georgia, and probably similarly in Ohio, this form is actually set out by statute.

    Then, you will be able to follow the steps laid out (again, statutory procedure) to do this. Just make sure that you don't skip over anything, because thoroughness counts in adoption work!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,839 answers this week

3,257 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,839 answers this week

3,257 attorneys answering