How do I address a letter to a circuit court judge?

Denver, CO |

I am writing on behalf of a relative in a felony DUI case regarding family history and other personal topics that the judge might consider when sentencing.

Also, is there anything that I should NOT put in the letter? Thank you.

I agree with the great advice of both of my colleagues. As a former judge, do not send it to the judge, as the judge will think it to be ex parte communication and ignore it. Send it to his attorney. You want the letter to come from the heart and specifically address things judges love to see - lack of prior criminal history, support of friends and family, acceptance of responsibility and accountability, and assurances that it wont happen in the future and how you can help to insure that

Thank you for answering my entire question. I have not had any personal experience with courts besides amicable divorce. The attorneys on this site have helped me so much and I appreciate it. You are one that I would definitely call if I needed representation.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

You are definitely most welcome. Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately, we do not hear that a great deal.

If you are writing the letter on behalf of a friend or relative who is represented, you should give it to his or her attorney. The attorney will want to review it to help the over all crafting of the argument or sentence and put it in at the right time to have the greatest effect. If the person is not represented currently, you should wait until he or she gets an attorney, and they should as quickly as possible because these are serious charges.

The proceeding statement is for your benefit and designed to orient you to seek help more completely; it should not be construed as a complete answer to your legal problem or a substitution for legal advice. Only when an attorney has had the opportunity to fully explore the issues of your case can you truly be advised. By reading my statement you should not infer we have created an attorney client relationship.

Letters in support of a defendant are best given to the defendant's attorney to present in the best manner. Random letters to the court are usually placed into the court file and the judge may read them, but the judge may only look at the letter.

If sent to the court, a good letter can have no impact. If presented by a defendant's attorney in the right context, a good letter can have great impact.

This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mark Solomon Criminal Defense Attorney Solomon Law, P.C. 2600 S. Parker Rd, Suite 3-134, Aurora, CO 80014 (720) 722-2050 http://www.solomonesq.com/