How do I address a letter to a circuit court judge?

Asked over 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I am writing on behalf of a relative in a felony DUI case regarding family history and other personal topics that the judge might consider when sentencing.

Also, is there anything that I should NOT put in the letter? Thank you.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

4

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with the great advice of both of my colleagues. As a former judge, do not send it to the judge, as the judge will think it to be ex parte communication and ignore it. Send it to his attorney. You want the letter to come from the heart and specifically address things judges love to see - lack of prior criminal history, support of friends and family, acceptance of responsibility and accountability, and assurances that it wont happen in the future and how you can help to insure that

2. Aaron Garth Norris

4

1

Answered . If you are writing the letter on behalf of a friend or relative who is represented, you should give it to his or her attorney. The attorney will want to review it to help the over all crafting of the argument or sentence and put it in at the right time to have the greatest effect. If the person is not represented currently, you should wait until he or she gets an attorney, and they should as quickly as possible because these are serious charges.

3. Mark S. Solomon

3

1

Answered . Letters in support of a defendant are best given to the defendant's attorney to present in the best manner. Random letters to the court are usually placed into the court file and the judge may read them, but the judge may only look at the letter.

If sent to the court, a good letter can have no impact. If presented by a defendant's attorney in the right context, a good letter can have great impact.