How do i add a name to a deed!

Philadelphia, PA |

aging mother has will to leaave me the house. needs home health aid too much on assests.

1. Hello ...

... From your question, I believe your issue lies more with the Public Assistance laws and Medicaid ... (I may be wrong) ...

... Adding a name to a Deed (and then recording it with the Recorder of Deeds) is very simple ... you could probably do it yourself or have an attorney do it for a nominal fee ...

... However, as my spider sense is tingling ... I think you need to consult with an Elder Law attorney who specializes in that area ...

... I am positive that one of my colleagues will give you a more-detailed answer ... stay tuned ...

John

*
    John B. Whalen, Jr., J.D., LL.M. is an AV Peer Review Attorney and Counselor at Law, is listed in The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, is Avvo Rated 10.0 Superb, is a recipient of the Legum Magister (LL.M.) Post-Doctorate Degree in Taxation (from the Villanova University School of Law), and is a recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Wills, Trusts, and Estates (from the Widener University School of Law).

Mr. Whalen, Jr. provides free initial home consultations seven (7) days per week, including all evenings, weekends, and holidays, from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
    888-845-0823
    610-407-0220
    610-999-2157
    jbwj@comcast.net
    Avvo.Com
    WhalenWillsLaw.Com
    TheWhaleBlog
    Martindale.Com

Although we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail, please remember that this information is for informational purposes only, and does not create and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This website is not intended to be the rendering of legal advice for specific cases, you should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel, and you should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.

2. Transferring a house to your own name before filing for Medicaid will disqualify your mother for medicaid for a number of years. If she needs any kind of help now, you had better see an elderlaw attorney ASAP.

3. Mr. Whalen is correct - there are bigger issues here than just the transfer of the property. If your mother is trying to qualify for medicaid, she should not simply transfer the house to you. This type of a gift can lead to her being ineligible for the program completely for a period of time. You and your mother need to consult with an elder law attorney in your area before doing anything.

Please remember to mark this answer as “Helpful” or “Best Answer” if appropriate. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Marshall Chriswell

Law Offices of Marshall D. Chriswell
    714 Philadelphia St., Suite 200
    Indiana, PA 15701
    (888) 438-5977
    (724) 465-5826

***

Marshall D. Chriswell is a civil practitioner with offices in Indiana and Clearfield Counties. Mr. Chriswell's practice emphasizes Wills & Estate Planning, Probate, Real Estate, and general civil disputes.

***

Mr. Chriswell provides free initial consultations, and will gladly meet clients in their homes upon request, including on the evenings or weekends.

This communication does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, feel free to contact our offices.

Wills and estates topics