How do I achieve getting my attorney to work my insurance claim settlement case faster?!

Asked over 4 years ago - Denver, CO

My requests of attorney to take certain action steps on my behalf are met with silence. I am not informed of reason(s) for no-action.

1. Linda Jane Chalat

Pro

1

Answered . Most personal injury cases take many weeks if not months to develop to the point a reasonable settlement negotiation may be undertaken. This is often the case even for the most aggressive of attorneys - obtaining medical records, expert opinions and responses from the opposing party all delay action. Your attorney is responsible for keeping you informed, but if you wish to settle your case for a fair value, then preliminary work must be performed to support your claim and that takes time.

The information provided to you in this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation if you have further questions.

2. Joel Andrew Gordon

1

Answered . Unfortunately, lack of communication is a common complaint of attorneys. It's really easy for an attorney to ignore clients multiple phone calls because there is no face-to-face contact (and all the while your file sits idle). My personal opinion is this if you want answers for no-action on your file: make a surprise visit to your lawyers office and tell them you would like to review your file AND speak to the attorney about your case. This usually gets the results you seek.

Disclaimer: I am a lawyer licensed in the State of Texas only and I am not your lawyer. This communication is not intended as legal advice and creates no attorney client relationship. Please consult your own attorney for legal advice. This is for entertainment purposes only.

3. Michele G Pearson

1

Answered . Requests for information from clients should not be met with silence, even if a claim is slogging through process. First, make sure you have provided all the documents and information that your attorney has requested. Any attorney will not be able to move quickly without proper information.

Then if you have done that, write your attorney a letter and tell her or him that this has been your experience and give them a "by when" date that you would like contact and say that unless they comply you will complain to the State Bar Association. A week is a good timeframe for their response. This will avoid face to face contact if either of you is emotional at the time, and if you present the idea as a last resource, it should get you some attention.

Also, keep in mind, that most good attorneys have given you some idea of what to expect, either through an initial meeting, a welcome letter, or intermittent communiques or copies of letters to other parties who are connected to your case like the defense attorney and others. See if those could answer your concerns if you have them. Lastly, review your representation agreement and see what the consequences are if you part ways.