How do I, the grandmother, file for custody (emergency or permanent) of my 5 1/2 mo old grandson in Glendale, AZ

Asked about 5 years ago - Glendale, AZ

I was called by the police to pick up my grandson and I have had him for over two weeks now and will have him for awhile and possibly up to 5 years. The enviornment he was in is not good by any means for him to grow up around, he is finally doing good, on a schedule, gaining weight and stable and I would like to keep him, this is the 3rd grandchild which the mother has none of her children, how do I go about telling the mother and getting custody?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Monica H Donaldson Stewart


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . In order to get custody of a child (as a non-parent), you have to prove that it would be significantly detrimental to the child's well-being to be placed in the care of either of his natural parents. This can be a difficult standard to achieve, but it really depends on the circumstances, including the status of both of the child's parents. Legal guardianship is another option (if you have the consent of the parents). I'd recommend you speak with an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options.

    ** This response is provided as general information only and does not constitute legal advice or otherwise establish an attorney client relationship. **

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,599 answers this week

3,395 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,599 answers this week

3,395 attorneys answering